Strength for Life is an exciting new exercise program in the ACT, created to help people over the age of 50 (over 40 for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders) improve their physical strength and fitness.
Funding from the Australian Government’s Move it AUS – Better Ageing Grant Program has enabled COTA to expand the program under a unified national brand.
Strength for Life is a progressive training program designed to improve the participant’s strength, balance, coordination and endurance.
Other likely benefits of the program may include:
- increased mobility
- reduced risk of falls
- preventing or managing arthritis, osteoporosis, diabetes and heart disease
- speeding up recovery from illness
- reducing lower back pain
- improved ability to undertake daily living tasks
- opportunities for social interaction
- improvement in self-esteem and mental wellbeing
COTA ACT is training qualified and experienced exercise professionals to deliver the program in 2020. Classes will be held twice weekly in suitable facilities such as fitness centres, retirement villages, community organisations and community centres.
The ongoing classes will be capped at 15 people per class, and the cost will be affordable.
Participants may also be able to access rebates through their health fund of Medicare.
The Strength for Life program offers two tiers:
Tier 1 – is delivered by accredited exercise physiologists and physiotherapists who work with people with chronic conditions. Baseline and follow up testing is conducted to develop and monitor an individualised program for each participant.
Tier 2 – progressive strength training sessions are delivered in a group setting by accredited fitness professionals. Although the sessions are delivered in groups, individualised strength training programs are developed for each participant.
Prior to starting the program, all participants are required to:
- fill out an enrolment and pre-activity readiness form
- participate in an individual assessment (45 minutes)
For enquiries regarding:
- becoming a Strength for Life Provider or Instructor
- Instructor training dates
- Participating in Strength for Life classes
- General enquiries
Call Diane Percy (Strength for Life Coordinator) at COTA ACT office on 02 6282 3777