COTA ACT delivers information across the community a number of ways. We run talks and sessions aimed at older people and work with other organisations to provide information, advice and referrals at their events and locations.
COTA ACT offers guest speakers to talk to groups on issues that are relevant to people over the age of 50.
A COTA ACT speaker can come out to your group and provide you with information about:
- What we do
- Housing options (including staying in your own home)
- Navigating the aged care system
- Seniors Cards and discounts
- Upcoming events
- and more!
Community education program
COTA ACT’s Community Education program encourages and enables older people in our community to minimise the risks to their health and well-being. We offer a range of free community education sessions to increase awareness of services, and provide practical and relevant information
Our sessions are delivered using a ‘Peer Education’ model. This is a process where people who share common ground teach and learn from one another. COTA trains presenters aged over 50 who then volunteer their time to talk to older people in our community about healthy ageing issues.
Community education sessions are:
- Free of charge
- Delivered by fully trained volunteer peer educators
- Available across Canberra (some topics are available in NSW)
- Structured with a practical focus including discussion of simple strategies to deal with the issues raised
- Designed to be interactive – attendees are encouraged to share their own ideas and experiences
- For groups small or large
- Designed to last for up to an hour