Strength for Life – Move in May!
Move in May is an initiative that has been set up by Council on the Ageing (COTA) ACT to keep older Canberrans active during the month of May. We encourage Strength for Life participants (and anyone keen to join) to use this opportunity to get into doing some regular exercise. This initiative is also about building a network or a community of seniors who are motivated to get moving and being physically active.
Essentially this initiative has been developed as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic. With the Strength for Life program unable to go ahead due to social distancing and the popularity of the COTA ACT weekly Facebook exercise sessions on Thursday’s at 1pm. COTA ACT have decided to go one step further. We would like to invite you to become part of a community where we can chat, discuss, share, participate and enjoy exercise together while in self-isolation.
This Strength for Life – Move in May initiative has been designed for anyone who might be:
- a COTA ACT Strength for Life participant
- already regularly physically active at home
- participating in the COTA ACT Thursday 1pm exercise sessions
- looking for more motivation to keep moving, or
- looking for inspiration to move more.
How does Move in May work?
Follow these easy steps:
- Register your interest by sending an email to: Strengthforlife@cotaact.org.au
- ‘Like’ the Council on the Ageing ACT Facebook page to receive notifications and email reminders of when the COTA ACT online exercise sessions will take place.
- Once you register, we will invite you to be part of a special Strength for Life – Move in May Facebook group.
- Share with us videos, photos, funny anecdotes and exercises to the group Facebook page.
What can I do during Move in May?
We encourage you to participate in the Strength for Life exercise videos
- Please watch the two minute introductory video.
- Once you have viewed the introductory video, familiarise yourself with the Strength for Life Healthy Living videos.
- Choose from the videos a gentle or advance warm-up and cool down, and a minimum of one of the four exercise videos at home or at your desk.
The videos include the following exercise sessions:
- Exercise at your desk
- Home exercise with weights
- Home exercises for balance
- Home exercise with resistance
Participate in the weekly COTA ACT Facebook live older adult exercise sessions
Participants are encouraged to join in every Thursday at 1pm, for 30-40 minutes, and benefit from an exercise program which complements the Strength for Life videos. These live online exercise sessions are delivered by Strength for Life Instructors, however the structure of the session is different to the individually designed programs delivered in the face to face SFL program.
Keep your eye out for the motivational messages from the Strength for Life team at COTA ACT on Facebook and via email and be one of the many older Canberrans participating in Move in May.
Share this information with your friends and family and encourage them to register for the Strength for Life – Move in May initiative and check in on their progress!
Strength for Life – Move in May partners
Alive Health Clubs, SportsTec Clinic, Capital Rehabilitation Professionals, LDK Greenway Views.