COTA has long held a special interest in road safety and older people. We recognise that older people have unique and important concerns about road safety. We are also well qualified to talk on behalf of older people and road safety having undertaken extensive consultation with older road users.
Further, our interest is not limited to driver safety. We know from research that over 50% of road fatalities of older people are for those who are not driving. This includes 25% of these fatalities being pedestrians.
COTA has played a key role in the development of the following:
- ACT Older Drivers’ Handbook
- ACT Retiring from Driving booklet
- Coming of Age: Safety and the Older Driver (Video)
- Overdrive – the Road Safety Refresher Course
- Scooter Safe Driver’s Guide
- Scooter Safe Trainer’s Handbook
- Use of Electric Scooters and Wheelchairs in the ACT: Policy Implications & Recommendations
- There’s Something About Scooters (Video)
- LiveDrive Seminar
- Older Person’s Road Safety Needs Analysis
In 2004 with the aid of a grant from the NRMA Road Safety Trust, we developed a comprehensive site with information for ALL older road users in the ACT. This is the Livedrive website and you are encouraged to visit it and peruse its vital information.